Moving Checklist A Simple Plan for an Easy Move
A move generally takes 8 to 10 weeks in all, and with so many details to keep in mind — packing, cleaning, setting up utilities — it can be an overwhelming experience. But thorough planning is the key to an easy move. The following week-by-week checklist, found on a new Web site from The Home Depot, www.homedepotmoving.com, will guide movers through the entire process, helping them stay organized and on schedule for a successful moving day.
* Call for estimates from three professional movers.
* Draw a floor plan of your new home.
* Call the Chamber of Commerce in your new town for its residential information packet.
* Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
* Complete U.S. Postal change of address forms, and mail to media, stores and organizations.
* Obtain copies of all of your medical, dental, legal, accounting and veterinarian records.
* Make arrangements for record transfers between schools on both ends of the move.
* Ask a tax advisor to review your potential moving-related tax deductions and potential tax liability.
* Itemize moving-related costs with your mover, including packing, loading, special charges and insurance.
* Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes and carpeting as necessary.
* Advertise a garage/yard/tag sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories and clothes.
* If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) 1 or 2 days before the move.
* If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape.
* Arrange for short-term storage if you will need it.
* Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records and immunizations.
* Assemble a sufficient supply of packing materials and equipment.
* Pack items you wont use immediately or that will go into storage.
* Contact utilities on both ends of the move, and order termination or turn-on for your occupancy date.
* Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
* Prepare auto(s) for the trip to your new home. Check tires and have car(s) serviced before the move.
* Terminate newspaper and other delivery services.
* Confirm new bank accounts by phone and fax.
* Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
* Gather important papers, records and valuables for protected shipment to your new home or safe deposit.
* Notify friends and neighbors of new address (and phone number if possible).
* Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
* Fill any necessary prescriptions and medications needed for the next two weeks.
* Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
* Plan simple meals for moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
* Pick up cash for your trip and a certified check for movers invoice.
* Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records and personal papers.
* Pack signed bill of lading and inventory where they can easily be located at your destination.
* Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED-FIRST BOX UNPACKED containing items youll need right away, like tools and window shades.
* Give the mover a telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.