Cottage Decorating and Cottage Chic style encompasses a simple decor that suits busy lifestyles with a focus on simplicity and comfort. Sounds good? Well, it is. And, it’s easy too.
Shabby Chic founder Rachel Ashwell ignited our passion for gently-used style. Where Shabby Chic emphasizes lots of white and use of pastel fabrics, Cottage Decorating Style merges a bit of Country Decor with sparse modern simplicity. Cottage Decorating is well-placed furniture (no clutter here!), mixed with passionate colors. Combine with a few vintage furniture pieces to evoke a sense of comfort that Cottage Decorators love.
5 Easy Steps to Cottage Style Decorating:
1. Clean the Clutter. Carefully place furniture and accessories. (Sparseness is better than cluttered).
2. Choose the Colors! Boldness in color inspires warmth and comfort.
3. Furniture to Live In. Select worn tables, chests and bookcases. Furniture should be comfortable to come home to, sort of like your favorite pair of jeans. (When furniture looks too ‘new’, we like to paint it and rough up the corners with sandpaper).
4. Mis-matched Fabrics are Okay. Inject colorful prints with valances, slipcovers and pillows. Plaids, florals and bold stripes work beautifully together when the colors complement each other.
5. Simplify Accessories. Carefully accessorize with items you really use, such as favorite books, family photos and a large candle.
Rental Decorators love the simplicity and instant comfort of Cottage Style Decorating…. Kick back and enjoy.