Glass Effects - Easy Stain Glass Project For Windows & Privacy Screens
|Glass Effects |
An easy and inexpensive technique to create the elegant look of stained glass. Try this techniques on your bathroom windows and side lights for added privacy.
- Grey acrylic caulking
- Clear Silicone Caulking
- Caulking Gun
- Stain glass pattern
- Toothbrush or Pencil
- Exacto Knife
- Paper towels
- Spray Adhesive
- Painters Tape
Stained Glass Step By Step
1. Choose a stain glass pattern. Reduce or enlarge it to fit the glass size. Note- pattern should not be too intricate as this will make it difficult to trace with caulking
2. To create lead line, cut 1/2" off the tip of the grey acrylic caulking. Put the tube in the gun. Place with spray adhesive or painters tape. On the opposite side of the glass, trace pattern with the acrylic caulking. Let dry 48 hours.
3. To trim lead line, take the Exacto knife and trim caulking into straight lines of even width.
4. Glass pattern: work with silicon in a well ventilated area. Pebbled pattern: Spread clear silicone in the section that you want to have the pebbled glass effect. With an old toothbrush, tap on the silicone, pulling it up into small raised peaks. Make sure to take the silicone to the edge of the caulking.
5. To make the patterned frosted glass
Circular Pattern: Using your finger or rubber end of a pencil, put a dab of clear silicone on the glass in a circular motion, similar to finger painting. Repeat this pattern until the section is filled.
Note- use gloves when applying silicone with finger.
To make a privacy screen attach French doors together with hinges. Place 1/2" Painters Tape around the edge of the glass panels. Apply silicone to glass in desired pattern.
This How-To project was supplied by Home Hardware. For more information on this project, and all of the necessary supplies visit your local Home Hardware store.