Shabby Chic Cottage Style Decorating For Christmas!
Tina Bauer owner of Not Too Shabby
Christmas decorating in the Shabby Chic Cottage Style is defined as an elegant, comfortable, "lived in" feeling with a perfect mix of the old and the new.
Here are a few simple steps for creating a shabby chic, cottage Christmas by turning your home or apartment into a place of warmth this holiday season!
1. Choosing a color palette - Whites and creams are the staple colors for Shabby Chic style and also Christmas decorating projects. They can be used to create both an elegant or casual theme. White can be used exclusively or you can warm it up with beautiful pastels such as pinks, blues, or lavenders.
2. Fabrics - Use beautiful vintage inspired floral fabrics that fit within your Christmas color scheme. Damask would enhance and elegant theme while, quilted floral matelasse, white denim, and crisp linens can be used for table clothes or napkins for a more casual decor.
3. China - Set your table with mismatched china remembering to keep with your theme. This can be done fairly inexpensively with the help of your local thrift stores and flea markets. Using simple white dishes with small accents of floral china will add a special shabby chic Christmas charm.
4. Candles/Lighting - Illuminated lighting is a critical element in creating the atmosphere of warmth. White Christmas tree lights are perfect for trees doorways and mantels. A chandelier adorned with glass prisms reflects the light . Candles of different sizes, displayed beautifully in old canisters or on saucers will add that extra .
5. Christmas Tree Decorations / Floral Arrangements - When entertaining guests, use fresh flowers as finishing touches all around your home. A bouquet here and a single flower there. Use interesting things to display them in such as tea pots, bottles, water pitchers. A single white rose in a small charming vase next to the sink in the bathroom reminds your friends and family that you care about even the tiniest details.
6. Pillows - Place floral accent pillows in your white or cream color scheme on dining room chairs, benches, and unexpected areas to create an inviting comfortable atmosphere while adding extra seating.
7. Slipcovers - If you don't already own slipcovered furniture, pre-made slipcovers can be purchased relatively inexpensively at many local department stores. The benefit of slipcovering your furniture during the holidays protects your furniture from the occasional seasonal spill. Simply take them off and throw them in your washing machine when your guests have left.
Christmas decorating in a Shabby Chic cottage style brings joy and elegance into holiday. It's a charming, kid friendly, and relatively inexpensive. Decorate with the things you love and the warmth of the season will fill your home. Happy Holidays from our home to yours.
Not Too Shabby is an online retailer of Cottage and Shabby Chic style furniture, fabric, and accessories. To purchase products or to contact Tina Bauer, you may visit their online store: www.notooshabby.com or call Toll Free during store hours M-Sat. 10-5:30 PST at (866)-254-3919.