|If you are planning to personalize your rental space by hanging new window treatments use these tips for measuring your windows. |
Steps to Measuring Windows
1. Use the proper measuring tool: For best results use a metal retractable tape measure. Fabric or vinyl tape strips, used for taking body measurements, may sag and give an incorrect measurement.
2. Measure for the following dimensions
- Length and width inside the window casing.
- Length and width outside the window casing.
- 6"above the top of the window to the floor (needed for curtains that touch the floor).
These measurements can be used to purchase, blinds, curtains or drapes.
Tips to remember:
Don't forget that these measuring guides also apply when you are measuring for plantation shutters for windows. And remember to always be sure to always measure twice before ordering any new window coverings
- Select your desired curtain rod first. This will be your guide to the length of your curtain.
- Standard curtain rods are hung 6" above a window frame with an allowance of 2"-3" on each side of the window . The length of your curtain panels will depend on your bottom point and any of these numbers can be adjusted to enhance a window.
- If you want a fuller curtain, purchase panels double the width of our windows.
- Be sure you mention to the sales person that the exact type of measurement you are discussing. They will need to know if it's inside or outside the window frame.
Selecting Window Treatments